Is the 9Dragon client used as secret bitcoin-miner?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ngahoang, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Ngahoang

Ngahoang New Member

I was wondering after comparing the resource usage of different games on our families 7 pc's.
    Ranging from League of Legends (idle, just client open), CSGO (game opened but idle), World of Warcraft and a few other games. The difference in memory, cpu and gpu usage between 9Dragons and all those other games is visible just looking at resource manager in Windows.
    And if you watch the temperature on GPU/CPU the PCs run 10 degrees hotter with 9Dragons client idle compared to the other games at idle.

How come? :)

(Not against bitcoin or altcoin mining but if your gonna make money on my electricity bill i want in on it)

Swim likes this.
  2. Trollamite

Trollamite Active Member

7 pcs and slot of games sounds like a full time job . At least you get to work with family lol

Ngahoang likes this.
  3. Ngahoang

Ngahoang New Member

I remember a few years back on a CSGO community (dont remember if it was Playzeek/Spelarenan or Faceit). That particular community had an anticheat that also had a bitcoin-miner in it, which they didnt tell anyone about. As soon as it was found there was a huge fuss and they had to remove it. Thats why im wondering why such an old game as 9Dragons, draws more idle than newer games.

If it draws 50W more power per 24h and you usually have the game open 24/7 (like many playing MMOs have, _especially 9Dragon players_ that use Macros to raise lvl, or just stay idle selling stuff) it raises the electricity bill quite abit. And if they make money from using our systems, i feel its only nice of them to share some coins....or be open about it "We want money for hosting and developing this old game so we do it that way", and then we, the players, can choose if we want to play it or not.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    pvtkourkoutas likes this.
  4. Manaphon

Manaphon Active Member

Lol, you want RF to be transparent with their playerbase? The moon colliding with earth will probably happen before it.
    Jokes aside, 9D really is buggy AF, with all the random dcs while running through maps and dungeons.

Cytrix likes this.
  5. GoliaX

GoliaX Member

Mate, OFC they are not mining bitcoins... It is just GG, but this happens with all games using GG and ppl always complain about. If you use a proxy to see your pc connections, 9D only connects GG's servers for its heartbeat system.

6. RingoChan

RingoChan Active Member

Yes, it's a game guard problem.

9dragons was able to run on my crappy pc back in 2007, so modern pc's from 2019 (in theory) shouldn't have a problem with the game. The issue with the slowdown (and high heat) is with game guard. Won't go into details about the root cause, since the anti-cheat software is cycling a lot of different processes and it's a lot to talk about... just gonna copy and paste info from the wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NProtect_GameGuard
    Quote"
    nProtect GameGuard
    (sometimes called GG) is an anti-cheating rootkit ... GameGuard blocks any installation or activation of hardware and peripherals (e.g., a mouse) while the program is running. Since GameGuard monitors any changes in the computer's memory, it will cause performance issues when the protected game loads multiple or large resources all at once.[7]
    GameGuard possesses a database on game hacks based on security references from more than 260 game clients. Some editions of GameGuard are now bundled with INCA Internet's Tachyon anti-virus/anti-spyware library, and others with nProtect Key Crypt, an anti-key-logger software that protects the keyboard input information."

EndQuote

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-gameguard-error/

https://gameguard.nprotect.com/en/index.html

Swim likes this.
  7. Cytrix

Cytrix Active Member

Gameguard sucks big time. Causes more trouble than any good.