Dark Souls

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blitzcronk, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

Certainly, since you asked politely.

However, I will finish with this. Just because you don't like what I'm saying does not make it spam, nor irrelevant since we were talking about the game you brought up.
    I don't know how you plan on making it through life if you go around accusing everyone who has something to say you don't like of being a troll or spamming you.
    You started the discussion, but that doesn't mean you have a right to dictate where it goes. If all you were looking for is a mutual admiration society, you should have stuck to a forum dedicated to the game, rather than posting in the off-topic section here.
    Socrates Cave. Those who are chained to the wall of the cave and have only ever seen shadows knowing not of the flame, are blinded if they are ever to turn and see the truth of reality. The wise adjust and accept reality as it is, embracing the flame, the fearful rechain themselves so that they may deny the flame and return to seeing only shadows.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. wowzors77

wowzors77 Member

actually u have made many "opinions" ill name a big one when u said u think or "claim" its bad writing. when others think it is not bad writing. also u claim u play games for enjoyment and dont find the irritating parts or "difficulty" fun, while others find overcoming the difficulty very fun. As i said before try not to go by what people describe the game as whether it be story or character or difficulty. The only true way to get a sense for it is to actually play it. which stands u have not. dont take any offence to this post its just what i see from people talking which seems to coincide with how hipsters speak or act that makes me wanna post. if u like the game or not its cool but i go by if u havent played it yet u cant have a reasonable opinion about the game

itsthem and Spite like this.
  3. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

Do they have a background in writing? I do. That means I have far more knowledge and experience to bring to bear on the issue.
    I didn't say they can't enjoy it, but just because they enjoy it doesn't make it good. As I pointed out, lots of people like little Beebee, Cyrus, Kanye, 50 Shades of Grey, and Plan 9 From Outer Space. That doesn't make them good.
    It's perfectly fine to like things that aren't actually very good. What isn't fine is acting as if everything you like has to be good, just because you like it.

I didn't say that they couldn't enjoy it for being difficult. I said it wasn't actually challenging. It may seem like semantics, but the words do have different meanings. And acting as if beating a game is some sort of accomplishment is silly. I don't care if you want to spend 100 hours playing a game. That's fine. Acting like you deserve a medal of honor for it isn't.

Direct experience is not required for knowledge. For example, if you were to go into an area of high radioactivity you would wear a dose patch, and take a Geiger counter. The information you are getting is second hand via the technology, but that is a good thing since the way you find out first hand if you've been exposed to too much radiation is usually deadly.

4. Blitzcronk

Blitzcronk Well-Known Member

Struggling with O&S :(

MOUSE likes this.
  5. MOUSE

MOUSE New Member

*"Well what is it" gesture*
    O&S easy af, just focus on attacking one while dodging another one.

PS
    WELCOME TO HELL CASUAL XDD

EDIT:
    if u on x360 add me GT: tRiLL MXVSX 666

6. DrRockzo

DrRockzo Active Member

I didn't get into dark souls 1 cause I did an Acidhedz and judged before I could give it a chance. But dark souls 2 was on sale last year on the Xbox store and I fell right in love with the game. I almost finished the base game then started the dlcs and they are so much harder. If they ever rerelease for xbone I will get it for sure.

7. itsthem

itsthem Active Member

I got the "Prepare to die edition" was a nightmare.
    I ended up turning to the darkside and using a cheat.
    I know, I **** :D

SwiggitySwooner and Spite like this.
  8. SwiggitySwooner

SwiggitySwooner New Member

Have the Prepare to Die Edition, one of my favorite games. It's a damn shame the PC port is so bad, wish they made it at least like the DS2 pc version :/

itsthem likes this.
  9. iDropBombs

iDropBombs Member

I have DS1 on steam DS2 sotfs and bloodborne on ps4 add me if you want LuckyzKHaRmS

10. iDropBombs

iDropBombs Member

Though im so bad at DS

11. Acidhedz

Acidhedz Active Member

If you don't want me involved in this thread, stop bringing me up.
    I did not "judge" the game in the way you are using the word. I didn't care about it when I first heard about it, just like I don't care about 99% of the games, movies and tv shows I hear about.
    After collecting ADnD, World of Darkness, Rifts and other pen and paper RPG books, plus playing games like Planescape: Torment (which is a truly unique game) and other games from when AAA studios actually put out interesting games. I'm not easy to impress.
    Watching hundreds of movies, reading hundreds (maybe thousands) of books, and watching quite a bit of TV as well, I know what I like and what I don't like. I don't like melodrama. I don't like soap operas. I don't like grimdark. I have 0 tolerance for emo, middle class whaaaaaangst.
    I like mysteries. I like action-adventure. I like comedy. I like documentaries.
    I would rather rewatch episodes of Hercule Poirot, The Librarians, Time Team, BBC science docs, River Monsters and Expedition Unknown.
    If someone makes a game based on the Discworld books, I'd be all over that. I'm looking forward to the new episodes of MST3K.
    When I experience fiction, I want to be entertained. If I wanted to get weepy over something, I will watch something real. A documentary on war, or something that actually happened. I will not waste my negative emotions on fiction, I will face real reality, rather than hiding behind fictionalized, safe, versions of it.
    That is why I have no respect for those who get addicted to tv shows and games like this. You claim to be experiencing emotions, but you are only getting the ghosts. It's funny that you accuse me of judging things without understanding them, but you are using fiction like a condom to keep you insulated from the real world. Try watching something like this:

Particularly when it gets to the men who are dying from radiation sickness.
    Then tell me just how much impact you get from playing any game, or watching any tv show.
    Reality can be harsh, but there is no substitute for facing the real thing.

I asked what the game was about. Upon being told, I made an evaluation. When Blitz decided he needed to "school me", I read what he said, looked the game up and read about it, then made a further evaluation based on that information. Based on my knowledge, experience and background.
    I do not need to play the game to learn about it, or understand it.
    If the fanboy illogic of "you must experience something first hand to understand it" was true, knowledge in general would not work.
    You could not learn about or understand anything from second hand sources, including books and teachers.

Everything else aside, it is a game made for people who take games seriously. Fanboys.
    I take MAKING my games seriously, because that is craft. But I do not take games in general seriously. I am not a fanboy. In fact, I hate fanboys and fanfic.
    They are the bane of my existence. As someone who creates, it sickens me to see people who do nothing but consume and regurgitate being given so much prominence. I also can't stand dogmatic thinking, and fanboys are poster children for it.
    I am an individualist surrounded by people who want nothing more than to form themselves into packs and tribes.

In summary, I don't like stuff like this game on any level, and I have extremely strong reasons for it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  12. DrRockzo

DrRockzo Active Member

and from someone who claims they play games to have fun and not get involved in back story you sure like to pick apart things other people enjoy doing but you might not. This thread is about people who play dark souls and your first post was fine in that it was you saying you haven't played it. Every post after was why everything you gleaned from a wiki isn't what you like. Just say I don't think it's for me and carry on. Stating what you think is more enjoyable is pointless and pretentious because this topic isn't about any of that.

13. wowzors77

wowzors77 Member

and for those that didnt like the quality of dark souls 1 port to pc there is an unofficial patch called dsfix which makes it look awsome

14. itsthem

itsthem Active Member

Don't even reply to AcidHeadz he is narcissistic and 90% of his posts are hypocritical.

15. Blitzcronk

O&S down!

itsthem likes this.
  16. Daziran

Daziran New Member

I was stuck for so long on O&S. I'd say was my only real roadblock. Most people seem to look at that fight really fondly, all my memories are misery lol. But what a relief to finally get them down.

I love Dark Souls, beat it for the first time a few months ago and more recently wrapped up Dark Souls II. Great games.

17. Blitzcronk

The fight was actually pretty fun, you had to be careful of Orstein and keep both O&S in front of you but when O did his dashing attack, you could get a few hits in and then roll out and then just rinse and repeat. S's super lightning ******* smash was deadly :(