The Basic guide to Moonlight Valley!

Discussion in 'Game Guides' started by CityCat, May 30, 2016.

1. CityCat

CityCat Member

Introduction
    I am Hahnee, a basic mooner.
    This particular map has a special place in my heart with many memories playing with rl friends as I've been an on and off mooner since freshman year of high school (now 23 yrs old).
    With all this time spent playing moon, I'd like to share the knowledge I've obtained from all these years on the valley. Do note I'm not fancy, so don't expect too much from this guide besides basic knowledge.
    I'd also like to thank Aomine (saver noob), Seventh (rammed), osiah7777 (mag grabbed me!), and Ivan (let me test air grabs over fences) for helping me try stuff out and be dummies! Thank you thank you!

The aim of this guide is to help beginners be more aware of what goes on in moon and help give players new to the game or map, ideas that they can use to create their own unique playstyle.
    Most of what I mention in this guide are opinions and ideas to help you understand the game and map better from a veteran mooner's perspective.
    Hopefully my poor explanation skills are easy enough to understand. =]

When you're playing Rumble Fighter remember...
    Be yourself, be creative, and most importantly have fun.

Warning: This guide will not teach you how to be a fancy pants cactus warrior juggling god.

About Moonlight Valley
    The map has been given a sort of bad reputation as the "noob" map. A map where all you need is a ram, jump kicks with every jump, exo spam, etc. to win.
    It's a stereotype in which it doesn't always have to be true, but some players do get away with the cheese.

There is an edge everywhere you go on this map, be prepared to be edged or be the edger.
    Some players will spare you out of kindness, but do NOT assume everyone else will do the same.
    When you spare, don't expect a spare in return either.

Players will notice that there are "unwritten rules" that aren't stated by the game but by players themselves.

Literally, the only unwritten rule the majority follows is
    no wings.
    I do not have a legit response to why wings aren't allowed, but when a newbie tries to sneak one on, I often let it slide. We can set rules on each other that have played for so long, but why be so harsh on newcomers.
    If you are totally new to moon it isn't a bad idea to create a "wings allowed" titled moon room as a majority of those who enter will probably be new to the game/mode as well. Makes for good practice.

Other unwritten rules include no No Hitting At All where you run throughout the game, /dance or /rest somewhere the entire game. You are a waste of space if you are doing this, but if its because you are in a room full of friends and they don't mind or care then whatever. This game is dead enough where a player wanting to moon won't find a room until ~5 minutes of waiting in the lobby hoping to get his/her click in on time to a 7/8 man room. It can be stressful especially on dead school nights. =[

No exo rule doesn't make sense for a game focused on both scrolls and power ups to help aid in your victory. If you want to play with your exocore, do it. If someone is yelling or cursing at you for using your exocore, remember it's their fault to allow you to exo in the first place, their fault for getting hit by it, their fault for not knowing how to play against it. There are certain exocores people will hate for you to use but the fact that they can't adapt is their own fault. (exocores like Shaman Snake and Tactical Bow)

Type killing confuses me sometimes.
    If you do it whether on accident or on purpose, don't worry about it, people will get mad, but it's their fault.

The players would continuously jump around but the moment you catch them and edge them off, they go "i was pming...". Are private messages THAT important, that it had to be replied on the spot? Find an area on the map no one is fighting at and reply if so, otherwise you are giving mixed signals to whether you are baiting or not. I was kicked once for killing this person who was running with a taurus exocore equipped. What else should I have done to not waste everyone's time?
    Constant pmers are annoying, because most of what they do is complain when someone kills them for playing the game. NHAA and chat rooms exist for a reason. Use it. In a battle map, you battle!

Often times you'll see two people arguing, and it goes back and forth for a long time until one gets kicked.
    This is no surprise as it is a fighting game, people get competitive and heated in the battle.
    What annoys me most is when I'm fighting someone WHILE they are still replying back to the other guy.
    This is incredibly rude and dislike this type of the player the most. No respect.
    I just had to rant somewhere, I apologize. =p

AFK killing is never your fault either. You only allow an AFK to live out of kindness.

For an edging map, people can get pretty triggered over being edged. You may get responses by people like "o we edging?", "sad kid only edges". Ignore it is best advice, no need to spark more rage, unless that kind of stuff turns you on, weirdo. inb4ragekicks!

In any game where there's free for all, there will be double teaming and back stabbing no matter what. It's inevitable. I usually try to let the two players who hate each other or just competitive with each other, fight with no interruptions. Other than that, there's no reason not to jump into a pile of players and try to get a double or triple kill if opportunity strikes. I find 3 way battles fun because of how intense it can get with all the slide kicks and stuff, saving each other until one ends up HP-less.

Sparing anyone is all up to you, you take the risk of being edged off by the person you just spared. It's a risk you take to attempt murder, which i find the most exciting feeling! It doesn't hurt to give respects back if someone spares you, but if you don't like that, then make it known to them. Being silent will make you seem douchey! Unless you are going for that quiet anime character persona. >_>

Stat stackers on moon are no trouble to deal with, because of all the edges available to you.
    SPD/JMP stackers Honestly, these are the only stat stackers i dislike the most because they play like a NHAA'er. Be aware that JMP stackers can make their way back onto the map when you think you've edged them off. Try to juggle or combo JMP stackers from the back so they can't move while descending.
    Slow and steady wins the race, remain calm and don't play into a SPD stackers games. They want to see you try to keep up with them. You'll most likely fail unless you know what you are really doing. =[
    You'll find more creative or efficient ways of dealing with these stackers as you experience fighting them.
    Feel free to share your ways of dealing with these speedy devils!

1v1ers are scary

You'll think all you need to win in moon 100% is just to know how to play the edging game. When you go against a skilled 1v1er you'll end up being side blocked, countered, or punished with a mighty juggle.
    You'll be pressured into remaining a still turtle until he/she decides to throw you off to end your misery.
    I was a 1v1er at one point but never got to fight any of the well known players in the game, but the spars I've had have definitely made an impact on my moon game.

Need a place to get started on upping your fight game? I highly recommend checking out this dictionary that's focused around 1v1 terms and definitions to understand it before you put practice into it.
    http://forums.playredfox.com/index.php?threads/the-rumble-fighter-dictionary.1497/
    Credits go to Yusuke, Dazzles, and Santa17 for the information given.

Learning breakpoints of scrolls will help immensely, especially when you are using a scroll focused on counters such as Combat Sambo or Krav Maga. I use this guide very often as i can't memorize every single breakpoint. Best guide so far.
    http://forums.playredfox.com/index.php?threads/advanced-guide-scroll-breakpoints.2319/

Credits to LastGoD, Galdeira, Draygashi, and imBrandon.

Scroll tiers are irrelevant in moon, so don't worry about what scroll you use. Use what looks or feels good. Scrolls that YOU enjoy the most. The more experiences you go through with your favorite scroll the quicker you'll realize its pros and cons and adapt to any situation given to you.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. CityCat

CityCat Member

Ramming
    Alright now we are getting somewhere with this guide.
    Keep in mind, ramming is one of the riskiest things you can pull off, as it can mean a cheesy kill or suicide.
    Don't be desperate. If your ram is blocked, your opponent can grab you for free if they time it right, which should be around the part where the blue ram animation being blocked is shown.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is an image of the "ram zones". Zones where you can ram or be rammed off of and die.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, the ram zones are practically everywhere.

Be aware of your surroundings! It's the most important rule to follow when playing this map.
    I don't ram very often but when i do, these are my favorite spots, give these a try!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If your moon style focuses on ramming to punish player positioning then why not own scrolls that are equipped with a more powerful ram to come out on top in style.
    Drunken Master, Drunken Boxing, and Meriken (slide kick) are the only scrolls i know of with a different ram animation.
    There are scrolls with a special input that act as a ram such as Sunmudo (>>Z) and Dragon (K+G).

Flash ramming or sudden rams are pretty scary. They give no warning and come out instant.
    Don't be fooled by a person that suddenly stands still, he/she may be baiting you.
    These insta rams are usually done to finish someone off caught by a jump/drop kick or after a juggle launch and one or two first punches.

To be honest, I just learned how to do these as I was writing up this part of the guide and angling the ram would have to be the hardest part for me. They take a bit of practice to get used to doing. I can get them 50% of the time because I'm just that slow or this ancient keyboard making things more difficult for me. ._.
    Here are few examples of insta rams utilized
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are many impressive and creative ways to utilize rams that you can find on youtube, I'm no good at it so I have nothing fancy to show, sorry!
    That concludes ramming~

Slide kicks
    Slide kicks are a more safer, almost better alternative to ramming. Slide kick collisions usually put both you and your opponent on even ground. Whoever has the quicker reaction and is better at rock paper scissors, comes out on top i guess. Whatever i said you can do with rams above, you can do with slide kicks as well.

My main use for slide kicks would be for gap closing a player rolling away after being knocked down.
    You can save someone from being killed by sliding the attacker and/or the helpless victim, but the attacker may not like that. =p
    Have not much else to say about slide kicking so that'll be all.

Air grabbing
    Air grabbing is when you grab while you are in mid air. How do you do it? As you are descending from a jump, make a smooth and quick transition from punch to grab (P+G).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

When you become consistent with air grabs, it adds an insane amount of pressure when mixed with jump kicks. Your opponent may think twice before trying to counter a jump kick.
    This ESPECIALLY with an omni grab scroll. In my opinion, if i were to have a tier list for top moon scrolls, I'd have every omni grab scroll in Tier A+++. (even Aikido)

There are specific spots where you can toss people over fences with an air grab. I've only seen it done at the right side cactus though. Actually learned how to do this as I was making this part of the guide, and my air grabs have become a lot smoother. Makes for a great surprise on unsuspecting turtlers. Seems to work best when your opponent is right at the wall/cactus and you are close to them (kissing distance).
    You could also double jump and do it but I just showed myself doing singles. (This has been player tested)

Any scroll with default's throw distance or more can throw players over fences. In fact, there's one spot where i couldn't get the throw over the fence with default's grab but Tengoryu's grab which is a farther throw, can do it. Also my favorite grab =p
    [​IMG]

Adding air grabs into the mix will keep you from being predictable. That's that for air grabs!

PANIC
    Panics can sometimes be difficult to know when to use as some combos or juggle launchers allow the opponent to block your panic on time even after finishing the move (Mystic Art's launcher). If i know I'm in serious danger and know any combo they do will kill me, I'll just panic as soon as the first hit actually hits. Better safe than sorry.

Second panics
    are an alternative to wings, since wings aren't allowed in majority of moon rooms your "second life" will be coming from the fiery panic of doom.

I see that many players still attempt to panic predict. Panic predicting is when you stop in the middle of your combo in hopes that your opponent panics, allowing you a free punish.
    Honestly, unless you know your opponent very well, don't even bother with predicting a panic.
    Players have become aware of this and don't panic until the last hit lands, but sometimes that ends up failing on their end. That is where opportunity strikes.
    Some players tend to mash their panic when they are in the moment, so they'll end up pressing Kick to Punch for panic rather than Punch to Kick, and get confused as to where their panic went.
    Rumble Fighter isn't as simple as pressing two buttons at once. The game takes a button at a time to process. Just have to get used to it and remain calm. =]

I've scored many early kills before the 100 second mark because players would assume I'm going to panic predict since it's still early in the game, but if you don't hesitate, off the map they go with their panic intact.
    Be ready in the case they do panic, that you aren't in a position where it may push you off the edge.

Panic killing
    . The ideal moment for a panic kill is when the opponent's back is facing you and they are right at the edge. Also, areas such as the small fence at the bottom left of the map, gives the opponent little to no options for recovery, giving you a free panic kill.
    Here's an example of the max distance a panic will push them from the back.
    [​IMG]

When you aren't sure if your opponent has a panic or not, bridges become a risky spot to be in.
    Be careful being right in the middle of the bridge. A panic will push you off if your opponent's shadow is above or below yours.
    [​IMG]

Using your panic is the least expected way to counter a hyper aggressive player.
    Slightly move up or down the bridge opposite of where your opponent's shadow is.
    One thing to look out for with all this is your timing because if you are too slow, the opponent can side block.
    Don't waste your panic out of desperation, get to know the panic distance, and you'll always have a guaranteed kill. (assuming they don't panic back)
    [​IMG]

Be creative with your panic. I like to walk up and block in the opposite direction and as soon as they go for a recovery kick or punch on my open back, i panic! >:D
    [​IMG]

Only counter to a panic is a panic

3. CityCat

CityCat Member

Nanmu
    Nanmus on moon are often used as an alternative recovery attack.
    A great way to escape inevitable danger since you dash out at lightning speed.

If you have Saver, using saver then nanmu, comes out a lot faster than just plain off the ground.
    This will catch many players off guard and guarantee a hit if your opponent doesn't block or jump quick enough.

Anytime during the grab animation you can nanmu, so faking a missed grab can land you a free nanmu on an unsuspecting opponent.
    [​IMG]

Remember, I said ANYTIME, so even that first .01 second of the grab animation.
    If you and your opponent both attempt a grab on each other, nothing happens.
    This makes for a perfect opportunity for a nanmu while your opponent is still in his/her grab animation.

My favorite way to utilize this idea is with a scroll that has a grab as a part of it's combos or specials.
    These scrolls include Soulless, Combat Tekkyon, Aikido, Volador, Krav Maga, Cyclone, Kingpin, Inner Fire, Xinyi Liuhe Quan, Infinite Ninjitsu, Pro Wrestling.

Notice about half of those listed are omni grab scrolls. These scrolls are probably the scariest to face as the pressure increases ten fold, because we are now combining the ability to apply air grab pressure with nanmus after a whiffed combo/grab.
    Combos with a grab are always blockable, so when an opponent blocks your combo grab, they'll always assume the right of punish (get it? right of ways =p).
    This will land you a free nanmu to their face for making such an assumption!
    This can also be risky as some opponents just like to block until you decide to throw out a normal grab, so I'd recommend getting to know your opponent a bit more before attempting this.
    Advance nanmu juggles are made easier as it gives you ample time to nanmu compared to most advances.
    [​IMG]

There are scrolls that lift your opponent up with a normal combo (like Agent's KKKK) and when done against a wall, allow you to catch them with a nanmu if timed correctly.
    Scrolls that need a wall to do this nanmu advance are Agent, Another Serpent, Electro, Krav Maga, Muay Boran, and much more. Refer to this list of advance nanmus by wizjuni to see if your scroll can do it!
    http://forums.playredfox.com/index.php?threads/rf-advance-namnu-juggles-guide.3783/

These are my favorite moments to nanmu, much more simpler.
    [​IMG]

Let's not forget the classic exocore fake out. Anytime during the exocore transformation and before the complete transformation, you can nanmu. I'll admit...I still fall for this sometimes. T-T
    [​IMG]

That is it for nanmu! Let's not forget, Agent owns the best looking nanmu! <3

Cactus
    Cactus warriors
    aren't to be underestimated as one jump mistake will cost you your life. Most cactus warriors camp their chosen cactus and wait for you so they can attempt the fancy stuffs. Stuff that'll kill you.
    My advice when playing against these type of players is to not play into their game. Let them come to you.
    Although, this might create a stalemate as neither want to move to each other. Learning how to play their game wouldn't hurt either, take some time in practice mode to get yourself used to the movements.
    There are a lot of youtube videos that involve the use of cactus, that are pretty scary to see be done to you but most of the time, you don't see these fancy moves being done in actual play.

Here's me attempting the cactus infinite juggle for fun! =p

Let's talk bu juggles. A bu juggle is when you launch your opponent high enough above a cactus that you can catch them with a jump kick and another attack afterwards, usually a punch or two.
    Here is an example with Hunter
    [​IMG]

Scrolls that can bu juggle (not all are listed) include Jin Tekkyon, Red Leg, Hitman, Muscle Buster, Destroyer, Hunter, Ice Breaker, TengoryuKarate, Kenpo.

There is a bu juggle where you launch someone right before they hit the cactus, punch and then jump kick.
    Not sure what is required from a scroll to do this, if anyone can let me know, that'd be much appreciated. =]
    [​IMG]

Moon became much more interesting when bu juggles were introduced and makes for great youtube content. Check out moon montages and you may learn a thing or two of what is capable of being done, maybe you'll get an idea and think of your own ways to be flashy.

Saver
    Pay2Win handicap.
    Just kitten!
    Saver is a class that you can buy versus Assassin.
    You press the grab input as you fall and recover with slight invincibility frames.
    If you plan on making moon your permanent home ground, you may want to consider investing 675 RC to buy it. It may save you from a ground hit that would have killed you or allow you an emergency escape from a mosh pit you fell into.

Saver isn't a 100% free pass from every knockdown though. You can still be punished if the opponent times his moves correctly.
    When facing an opponent with saver, try to see how often the player savers after every knockdown.
    Having a fast reaction and keyboard cat like reflexes will make you a saver's worst nightmare.

Ways to punish Saver

After a knockdown from the back, if timed correctly will land you a free combo.
    [​IMG]

When knocking back a player from the front, a grab (magnet) will hit if timed correctly.
    Keeping the running animation as you grab helps connect it easier for some reason or just feels that way.
    [​IMG]

When your opponent is at a wall or corner, these punishes apply as well.
    [​IMG]

Countless times i have punished (even HP'd) saver players, who spams it every knockdown at the right side cactus corner and I'm called the spammer. >_>
    There are probably other ways to punish saver but usually i just go with,
    Grabbing when face to face, combo when their back is facing you.

Be aware, the grabbing punish can be countered by a punch or kick if timed right. Only one person I know always lands a kick before my grab gets to connect. So watch out for these competent Saver users.

Comboing from the back will always work but the timing always has to be just right, which is the hard part when you're constantly going through different scrolls. Get to know the timing of your first kick.

Keep in mind some scrolls will knock your opponent back too far for you to attempt a grab on time. Have some common sense and you'll do just fine.

There are ground hits that bypass saver but I'm not knowledgeable of which scrolls possess those.
    You may have to ask around or find guides for your scrolls if you are curious.
    Feel free to share and I can add a list. =]

You may notice from the images that I am an Assassin. I chose that path because I didn't want any form of handicap that overpowers myself over the less fortunate players. Not only that, I also fell in love with that slash effect! It's just too awesome to pass up. My crit is currently at 25 on every set, so even with assassin I can not be considered overpowered. I focus on fair fights as much as possible.
    This guide isn't teaching you to be honorable though, so feel free to do as you please.

M4cropod, Windstorm and Autronix like this.
  4. CityCat

CityCat Member

[​IMG]

This spot is where the drop jugglers and those looking for a 1v1 spend most of their time.
    This particular spot is favored by drop jugglers because you can keep the drop juggle going on from top to the bottom of the map. Also, the cactus you see on the right you can be juggled off from the top platform.
    [​IMG]

When drop juggling, a drop punch comes out slightly faster than a kick, so keep that in mind.
    Most of time you'll be using a drop kick anyways.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

When purchasing a new scroll, it'd be a good idea to go to practice mode and see which combos drop most smoothly and efficiently.
    When you've gone through enough scrolls, this just becomes second nature and you just get that "feel" for it.
    This is because most scrolls are just recycled, so you'll often feel that same kick you felt from another.

You can also drop juggle off of the small step connected to the top platform. Easiest way to go about it is juggle launch them off the small step, then walk off the edge and time a drop kick.
    [​IMG]

On the right side edge of the small step you can walk off and on with some sort of float animation.
    This can be done on several locations on moon but I'm only aware of 2 other spots.
    Maybe can be done everywhere? I don't know =p
    [​IMG]

Here is a trick to utilize this to give you an idea
    [​IMG]

At first, you wouldn't think someone could possibly bu juggle you onto the top platform, but it's possible.
    Muscle Buster and Hitman users often go for this.
    I can't seem to pull it off with less than 25 JMP. Unsure if JMP actually matters and I just ****.
    [​IMG]

Beware of this fence! It's known to bug out a lot where you end up going through the fence. Happens most when i recovery roll towards it depending on how close i am to it and player models around you.
    I've stopped bothering a recovery roll kill attempt ><
    [​IMG]

On the right side of the small step, the wall isn't flat (obv) so players will slide right off if you knock them back, sometimes resulting in a kill. (assuming they don't have nanmu to recover back onto the map)
    If you send them too far, they will be knocked back to the bottom left platform.
    [​IMG]

Juggles can give you more control in whether they fall or not. Delaying as they hit the wall of the small step, will keep them above their inevitable doom until you decide to let go.
    [​IMG]

Tips (will add more later)
    When guarding, remember, your character can face 8 different directions. Avoid being one directional.
    Side blocks will save you from grabs (if not against an omni grab), and attacks that send the opponent past you for you to punish them (Combat Tekkyon has huge movements with each attack, allowing easy punish).

When knocked down close to a fence and facing towards the fence, if an eager opponent gets close enough as you recovery roll towards the it, they will be sent straight over.
    [​IMG]

Moon can get hectic and you'll find yourself getting hit from every direction not knowing which way to block.
    This is where back guards come in handy! The cutie milk bottle is probably the most durable and costs 5k carats for every 25 uses.
    [​IMG]

You can punish recoveries and people who like to live on the edge with a machine gun out of nowhere!
    I've seen a lot of creative ways to use these, such as jump kicking/dropping a player and finishing them off with a machine gun.
    These can be found in the Medals shop. Medals are obtained from Adventure modes aka Boss runs.
    [​IMG]

M4cropod, Windstorm and Autronix like this.
  5. CityCat

CityCat Member

Scroll list with ways on how to utilize them
    (will add more later and taking any scroll requests excluding rares)

Abyss (keeping this unspoiled to give an example)
    If you K+G an opponent at a wall you can follow up with a kick combo or nanmu.
    This is useful because of how many walls there are on this map.
    You can definitely be creative with this as well, as long as you are close enough for the hit, you can hit.
    Here's a demonstration. Tip: if you ever abused the Hunter counter bug it's just like that but with a tinier step up before the attack. You don't have to step up at all but it's a good indicator.
    [​IMG]
    I found this out from Draygashi on youtube, check him out as he uploads high quality clean videos, https://www.youtube.com/user/Draygashi

If your shadow is anywhere above your opponent's you can angle the last kick of the PPKK combo and drop.
    This can be done going towards the right as well
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A K+G can score a cheesy kill on anyone camping the cactus if you do it from the top!
    [​IMG]

Outside of juggling for damage, KKKK is the best combo! Surprising angles and lifts your opponent very high if caught mid air!
    [​IMG]

This juggle applies to every cactus
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A non charged KKP combo angles perfectly to the left. Right angled KKP will not hit unless your shadow is above your opponent's.
    [​IMG]

6. Shana

Shana Creator of Heartseeker, SF, IAS, BD & CC

Great stuff

CityCat likes this.
  7. Windstorm

Windstorm Glacial Master

Even after reading this guide I still hate moon

SerKikoSmore, BJJFromGJJ and CityCat like this.
  8. CityCat

CityCat Member

Thank you thank you! and Windstorm! I enjoyed your in depth scroll videos =]

Windstorm likes this.
  9. tamirtov

tamirtov Clean Up Crew

wow nice guide !!

10. Tender

Tender Member

Great guide, covers more or less everything !

11. TheDL6Incident

TheDL6Incident Creator of Buki

I'm not reading this