All of my fighting knowledge, passed to you.

Discussion in 'Game Guides' started by Windstorm, Nov 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Windstorm

Windstorm Glacial Master

All of my fighting knowledge passed down to everyone. I hope it helps. Read until you get bored. Enjoy.

4 out of 5 star player trying to give players the upper hand with very little mechanic knowledge or desire to use them. (Work in progress)

Each section divided by spoilers for simple viewing.

Sideblock
    - After ending any attack, string of hits or combo, turn 90 degrees away from your opponent and block immediately. Place your character’s guard to where you expect them to hit next, and their combo will roll right past you.

❌ If your back is facing the opponent, you literally turned your back to them.
    ❌If you get hit when the opponent starts their attack, you turned away to where your back will get hit instead of your guard.

Footsies
    - To test what kind of opponent you have, this is a great way to do it.

Punch ➤ Punch combo
    - For forcing pressure. Great for punishing bad reaction time if they predict a grab. Leads into pressure.

Punch ➤ Block immediately.

- For aggressive opponents. Stops you from taking a lot of damage if they predict you. Even if grabbed.

Punch ➤ Grab
    - A great tool to turn the tables and stuff in a bit of damage. Also leads into pressure.

Pressure
    -The act of forcing your opponent to react to what you want to do.
    Put simply for every action, there is a reaction.

There are several basic ways to do this, and can be done while they’re standing or knocked down*.
    (*May not work on Saver users)
    A few examples I mainly use:

Standing
    • Single punches combined with drifting
    • Taunting after knocking them down
    • Literally doing nothing
    • To be continued...
    Grounded (Knocked down)
    • Attempt to get behind them
    • Jump while they recover
    • Blocking in front of or behind them
    • To be continued...
    “Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water....You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Distance Management / Recovery
    Keeping an eye on how close you are to your opponent can make or break your fight.

When knocked down, there are precautions you can take to have a safe or barely safe recovery. Whatever helps you take little to no damage at all to get you back on your feet.

note : there are scenarios where some of these would not work, examples being team battles and in corners. Saver is not included, as they have the option to avoid punishment.

Ex. The enemy hits you from the front and...
    knocks you away (short) ➤ Roll to your side
    knocks you away (far) ➤ Roll backwards
    knocks you onto the wall ➤ Roll sideways + Sideblock
    trips you ➤ Sideblock/Dive away diagonally

Ex. The enemy hits you from the rear and…
    doesn’t knock you down ➤ Sideblock + Immediate Footsie
    knocks you down + attempts to attack again ➤ Roll forward/backwards + Recovery Kick
    knocks you down + runs around ➤ Roll + Dive into the enemy or Roll + Recovery Kick + Sideblock

Generally whatever keeps you in medium distance is good.
    If they’re in your face, they’re confident and can stuff in damage if you’re not on your toes.
    And far distance opponents most likely want to lure you into whiffing (making mistakes).

A common thing I’d have to point out for most new players is that using a dive offensively is almost 100% punishable. I am against using it outside of an escape for a reason. If you miss, so many bad things can happen.
    You can take a graze (slide kick, ram or grab), eat a bullet (combo, juggle or nanmu), or get shot between the eyes (advanced nanmu).

Bringing the basics together
    Summary

Offensively : Close the gap to your opponent, hit confirm, do damage, punish their recovery, do more damage. Work to get their panic(s) then crush them for using it with a nanmu.
    Don’t get cocky if your opponent is sharp.
    “Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee.” - Muhammad Ali

Defensively : Recover safely, guard/counter, punish, do damage. Work to turn the tables in your favor. Save your panic to keep your opponent guessing. Use panics on nanmus, unless you’re about 3 hits away from death.
    “You may have won the battle, but not the war” - C.G.
    ################

Part II - Types of opponents
    This section will help you briskly adapt to the current fighting style your opponent is using.
    [Coming soon...]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Crescendo likes this.
  2. Windstorm

Windstorm Glacial Master

res

3. KingxD

KingxD Well-Known Member

Wished there was something I could have learned here, but tbh already know all of em and since I normally win against you in 1v1 I don't see anything that could be taught to me.
    -Densetsu

4. Windstorm

Windstorm Glacial Master

Never asked me for a ft9, so i just play casually.

5. Jazztech

Jazztech Well-Known Member

If only there were new players to actually read this